Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1

    April 12 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Up at 4.30am after evening out with Peter & Simon to celebrate Simon’s 50th. Big meal + vino tinto + 5 hours sleep not the best preparation but the journey went to plan. Fascinating to fly over snowy mountains.
    Metro easy to navigate and we were able to check in when we arrived about midday. First coffee at ‘Arrecife’ bar just around the corner. The apartment ‘Valencia Centro’ is great - very well equipped and close to everything. Went straight out for a wander - it’s a big & busy city but a lovely vibe. Streets, squares & buildings are fabulous. Weather is perfect. Stopped for delicious toastie & bocadillo and 1 beer. Just as well only 1 because it was 6.2%. €20. Back to the apartment about 2.30 via Mercadona for a few supplies. Rest, then out again at 5ish.
    Walked out to museum area and saw the new fabulous waterfront buildings - theatre, music, science & oceanographic aquarium. Loved the L’Umbracle arch which disguises the car park. The old river which flooded in 1957 is reclaimed as a huge park with sports grounds and family areas. A massive undertaking and not finished till 2003. No bars in the park that we found though!!!!
    Wandered back to town and struggled to find beer. Many places closed between 4 - 7 pm. No good to us! Back in the centre we had a couple of pintas (about €5 each but pint rather than jarra) then stopped at New York tapas bar. Didn’t like the name but it was a proper tapas selection so we sat at the bar and thoroughly enjoyed our food - total €25. Had tortilla de patatas, prawn & mussel salad, fried pulpo & bread. Bargain.
    Stopped for last beer at Arrecife bar. Andy had extra lomo, egg & chips. Biggest beer (doble said waitress!?) was only 33cl. They don’t accept cash over the bar - have to put into a machine and it gives change. Anyway, home 9.30. Glass of Guvnor from local Mercadona then bed.
    Read more