Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2

    April 13 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Up 8am. Andy went for a run. Out for breakfast 10ish.
    Met for walking tour at 11am. A lot of people split across various language groups. Our group was about 30 which for us was too many. Patricia was very good but it was difficult to herd so many people. To be fair, it is a sunny & warm Saturday so there are a lot of locals and tourists around but the tour wasn’t the best. We covered all the main sights in the old town and she told us lots of the history. The river was diverted after the 1957 flood and was then abandoned for years. In the 80s, the plan for a major highway was thrown out and the redevelopment into a 9km leisure park began.
    After the tour, we sampled ‘Agua de Valencia’. Gin, vodka, cava & orange juice. It was lovely but just a tick in a box.
    We then went to check out 2 potential bars for football later. ‘Beer & Travels’ was perfect but they’re showing rugby & La Liga today. We had a beer and 4 montaditos each - peppers, tuna, cheese & tuna & potato salad. Total €20. Delicious.
    Then to The Lounge bar. Small & crowded but they’re showing Man U later.
    Wandered back via the Market (closed now). Went into La Lonja, the old silk exchange. Fabulous building then home about 4pm.
    Out again 5.30 to St Martins Irish bar (I know, we don’t do Irish bars) to watch Man U v Bournemouth. Didn’t bother with The Lounge from this afternoon. Good sports bar with lots of screens and Spanish staff. Only had one beer and left about 7.15 with Man U 2 - 1 down. The town has a totally different feel tonight. Very busy with locals, tourists and lots of stag & hen parties. We moved on to a relatively quiet street and had 2 beers & pizza. Total €41.60. Footie ended 2-2. Street got busier & busier as time went on. Spent the evening talking about what we’ll do next time we come here. We’ll definitely be back - absolutely love the city. It’s busy but not overwhelming and doesn’t feel oppressive or polluted. Home for vino & tv by 9.15. I’ve only walked 7 miles today vs 9 miles yesterday. Tired legs.
    Read more