Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Alps Tour - Untermieming to Abtenau

    July 7, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    An adventure always starts out with an adventure, right?! Despite the best plans and intentions, anything is possible 🙈. As expected technology only adds to the fray…

    We woke up early to catch the bus to Untermieming to pick up our rented motorcycles. However, when all the busses have similar numbers and arrive at same time, you may find yourself going to unintended places. Luckily J was watching google maps and discovered the "errors in their ways". A quick bus ride back, and an hour later, the original plans began to unfold.

    After a much longer than anticipated time getting the bikes sorted, found numerous navigational issues uploading preplanned routes to the Garmin GPS unit. We had to pull over a number of times to verify our intended route was going to plan. We’re not sure how anyone in Europe can read the posted signage, we found it quite confusing! After a few extra detours getting through Innsbruck, and avoiding tolled motorways, we finally settled into enjoying the ride.

    We passed through many villages, and were impressed with how clean, orderly, and well maintained everything looked. And the various routes were bustling with productivity of all the local farmers. You could say the farmers were having a "hay day"!

    We made a quick stop in Strass, at the Gasthof Hotel Post for a late lunch. It's interesting ordering food as it isn't always what you think you are getting. Our order of what we thought was a bun, sausage, and saurkrat was a plater of sliced baloney with slightly picked onion drizzled in a light vinegar and a bun on the side 🤣

    Many hair-pins and straight-aways later found our way in to Abtenau, a rural resort community outside Salzburg. We arrived in time too as the kitchen closed at 8pm! Veggie Burger and Lamb chops 😋

    https://calimoto.com/calimotour/t-ZPG3h8Anpl
    Read more