Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Next Stop, Hampshire 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

    August 8, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    It was a early start to the day to ensure we had plenty of time to get to Schiphol airport, and submit tax refund documents. So long Amsterdam, hello England!

    After a short one hour flight to Bristol, we were greeted with a fine mist rain, and a faint whiff of manure. A quick shuttle ride to the rental car area, and we were off on our new adventure.

    On the way to Whitchurch, we made a stop at the village of Castle Combe. Apparently there is a castle ruin in the area, but it wasn't in the village. Majority of the buildings in Castle Combe were constructed prior to 1600, and apparently very little construction since (not sure of the accuracy of that fact)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Combe
    Many movies have been filmed here, like War Horse in 2012 with Benedict Cumberbatch.

    Feeling famished, our first stop was for a meal at the local pub; nothing quite like a meat pie, fish and chips, and a pint to keep you going. We then explored St Andrews Church, and walked along the couple of streets before carrying on. Wholly, there are some narrow track country roads! Two way traffic but hardly wide enough for our little car 🚗🤣

    Our route took us through North Wessex Downs where we passed through the village of West Kennet, that looked to be out of a fairytale with all the densely and meticulously thatched roofs covering brick or stone houses. We also noticed a large perfectly formed hill with a rock monument, later to discover it to be a neolithic site called Silbury Hill.
    https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/place…

    Eventually we reached the town of Marlborough, then headed south to our final destination to meet Tiger, our feline roommate for the week.
    Read more