Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Salisbury Saunter

    August 9, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Had a nice lazy start to the day, then a leasurely run along a local footpath through forests and fields. We then set off for an afternoon adventure to Salisbury.

    The majority of the drive there was uneventful as it was either a motorway, or a narrow lane road with very high hedgerows impeding any views. With so many twists and turns along the way, especially through Andover, we weren't sure what direction we were going.

    Along the way we passed near Stonehenge, and Old Sarum, and into the city Center. Parking the car near the train station, we walked along the Avon "river" to the old town area, and noticed a couple of Swans. The central square was decorated and set up for the annual summer festival, with people about enjoying the sun after weeks of cold and rain.

    After a light late lunch snack we kept meandering through the streets, and eventually to the grand Salisbury Cathedral. The designation of city apparently was usually only given if a Cathedral was present. But later learned that there are 13 British designated cities that don’t have Cathedrals, like nearby Southampton.

    On our drive home we stopped by The Old Railway Hotel in Porton. It was a quiet Wednesday, but warm on their picnic benches and perfect for an evening meal 🍴🙂
    Read more