Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 97

    Westward to Skye

    September 12, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    An early start to the day, and a fairly restless sleep due to the close proximity of the highway. Traffic was light in the middle of the night, but the draft from the bigger vehicles shook the camper. We camped a short distance from the fog veiled Loch Voili River, which was quite refreshing to splash on our faces. A made a couple cups of coffee, and we were on the road again.

    Our route took us north and west where we continued along till turning on to A82, passing various lochs, through the Rannoch Moor, and down through Glencoe. It was quite a spectacularly bright morning, interspersed with fog.

    The A82 took us pretty much due north, passing through Fort William, and up along the Caledonian Canal to Invergarry; very reminiscent for J when he travelled the area with his Grandmother last fall.

    Turning on to A87, we headed more westward. A had chosen a campground near Applecross, but due to our proximity to Skye, we decided to travel there instead. J found a restaurant for lunch in Kyleakin, just across the Skye Bridge. We had just beat the rush to order as a tourist bus unloaded right after. The cafeteria style eatry was very quick with getting the orders out, the food was decent too.

    Looking at camping options on Skye we settled on a beach front campground on the southside on the island. The trek in was quite an adventure with very busy and narrow roads. The final stretch was a very bumpy and rough single track with multiple passing spots. Along the way we noticed a couple with a flat tire, and offered to help. They took us up on the offer as they weren't sure where the jack needed to go. J got on it, and had the spare installed in short order.

    Finally reached the end of the road where we were to camp for the night. The sun was still shining brightly, and a line up of caravans and tenters eagerly waiting for a spot too. After setting up on the grass near the beach, decided on a refreshing dip in the ocean. The tide was midway out, and surprisingly the water was slightly warmer than that near Torshavn; J though maybe 8C. It took A a bit more time to coax himself into the water.

    After the swim, a hot shower followed, then dinner. Particularly hot, as there was only one button for the water without ability to adjust temperature 💦🥵. Decided to make the most of the remaining sun rays, and went for a short walk on a nearby trail. Once dinner dishes were cleaned up, we settled in for the night.
    Read more