Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 98

    Applecross Away!

    September 13, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    We had a wonderful sleep near the ocean in Glennbrittle, and woke up feeling well rested. Luckily we were able to enjoy the sun the day before as it was overcast and cool out.

    Started the day off with our usual coffee, and J made up a pot of porridge. We couldn't resist getting some fresh baked goodies and a pack of their roasted coffee beans for the road. Finally all packed up, and on the road by 11am. Our next destination set, we headed east, and farewell to the Isle of Skye.

    Before long we turned off the main road and were heading north around Loch Carron. The road was twisty and rough, eventually narrowing down to a single track lane. By 1pm we stopped for a wonderful seafood lunch at Kishorn Seafood Bar.

    Our next leg of the journey was over the pass to Applecross, Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle). Lots of signage warning larger motorhome and vehicles towing trailers to use the bypass route; again, all single track, with multiple pull outs for passing. The last few twists and hairpins were very tight! Weeee!

    As impressive as the climb over the pass was, the views on the descent were equally impressive. Not surprising, there were road cyclists at the summit 👏!

    We were early enough to beat the rush for campsites. Once in place, and set up, we went for a short walk to explore the village. On the way back we picked a handful of blackberries that were so rype most melted as they were picked. Dinner was chicken stirfry, rice and salad. We then enjoyed a cozy evening in the camper as the rains and winds thrash about outside. We lowered our pop-up as usual to minimize the sway.
    Read more