Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 117

    Plitvicka Jezera

    2 ottobre 2023, Croazia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    The sun was shining, but most of the valley remained in the shade as we departed Skradin around 9am. We headed northeast, and zig-zagged through the Krka national park, with a nice road next to short cliffs above us. One area was called Roski Slap with gorgeous flowing mini-falls cascading through multiple shallow pools.

    Before long we were zipping along narrow roads back on the upper arid plateau. At one point there was the realization fuel would be a priority as A and D were running on fumes! The map said there was some 25km away, but distance is hard to rely on here. We enjoyed a coffee stop first before getting to Knin for a fuel up.

    As we continued north, the terrain changed from a rough and rocky brush landscape to more forested and open grasslands. Some fabulous twists and turns between Dnopolje and Frkašić. We continued through the town of Korenica, where A had booked our evenings accommodation, and continued north to the Plitvick Lakes National Park. It's world famous cascading required a visit!

    Surprisingly, for a late season mid-week arrival, there were people everywhere. Just couldn't imagine what this area looked like in the at the peak of the summer season...

    D stayed back with the motorcycles to rest in the shade while A&J went for a powerwalk through the park, opting for the shortest loop 'A'. The sun was glistening off the water, providing spectacular views. Although the rough wooden boardwalk and stairs were over three feet wide, congestion did happen on occasion as we walked around. The water was very warm, and had a slight aroma to that of a fish tank. It took us just over an hour to walk the 4.5km, instead of the suggested 2hours.

    Before long we were back in Korenica, checking in to the Bed and Breakfast. We walked to one of the local restaurants, and shared thier BBQ platter. In hindsight, we could have shared the platter for two instead of the extra cordon blue.

    After dinner, we continued to walk and explore the town. We had to stop and grab jackets as it really cooled down after sunset; inversion possibly due to thick smoke in the valley. A&D popped in to a Bakery and bought a couple pastries. Though very pretty looking, the flavour of the apple strudel indicated they perhaps mistook the crystal sprinkles on top as salt instead of sugar 🥺. Once back at the B&B, we settled in for the evening with A&D playing a couple rounds of cribbage.
    Leggi altro