Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 118

    Rovanjska

    October 3, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We were on the road by 9am in the refreshingly chilly 10C, and the helmet visors kept fogging up. Once the motorcycles were topped up with fuel we started our journey back to the coast.

    As we rode up into the morning sun it got warmer going up the valley. More twist and turns took us from one open grassland and wooded valley to the next. After passing through the more agricultural areas, we started passing through more small towns. Sadly many of which looked to be mostly abandoned, with relic buildings and industries of a bygone era. That said, the ranchers used many of the buildings to store hay.

    Eventually we came to the Dalmatian range where the landscape got rocky and drier. The view of the coast once we peaked the summit was spectacular. It was noticeably much warmer on the western face as we descend. The curvature of the road following the contours of the mountains provided some excellent riding. The afternoon heat (28C), made us welcome the straighter roads allowing us to cruise at the good speed to enjoy the air conditioning 😉

    Before long we found our way into Rovanjska, where A had booked us a B&B, minus the breakfast 🤣. The entry took a bit to find, but were successful in the end. The proprietors were gracious enough to have us park in their private driveway off the very steep street.

    Riding gear came off so we could cool down from the toasty sun rays in the 28C. We settling into our 2 bedroom unit and decided to go for a refreshing swim in the ocean. Found a nice shaded spot with a bench for D, and A&J jumped in to the cooler water. There seemed to be a fresh water source near by as the water had a neat mixing of the cooler fresh water near the beach with the warmer sea water.

    Apparently it was passed the tourist season as all the restaurants were closed with exception of two beachside cafe-bar kiosks. We had a good walk around town first to verify the questionable restaurant hours' information from Google maps. Our beachfront meal was nice. Our first time having a tomato salad consisting of only tomatoes 🤣

    The owner of the B&B helps the local cats who are sick. She has 26, and also 26 small turtles who roam the entry courtyard!
    Read more