Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 106–107

    Oamaru

    February 28 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    A bit of a groggy morning in Christchurch for us as we didn't sleep well, probably still adjusting to the new time zone? Found an intriguing bakery near by, so popped in to enjoy a coffee and fresh baked goods. The Bohemian Bakery definitely had some French-Chic vibes. We hoped for maybe avocado toast, but the images on the website are for weekend service 😔, oh well, avocado croissant sandwich instead!

    We carried on southward towards Oamaru, passing through a number of small villages. The drive was enjoyable, and traffic moved steadily onward. Lots of farming, herds of cattle and sheep, as well as fields of corn and other grains. To break up the trip we stopped in Geraldine for a walk through Riddell's Reserve; a short loop through a pine forest with neat undergrowth.

    We finally arrived in Oamaru, a quaint seaside town, with a population of 14,000. The town is known for its old Victorian Whitestone district and a colony of Blue Penguins.

    Once check into our room, we went for a short wander through downtown (see video). We were invited to dinner with a couple A met years ago in the Marshall Islands, who now live here with their girls. We had a wonderful evening visit, a huge salmon dinner and the homegrown veggies were amazing!

    It was suggested to go have a look for the Blue Penguins as they come ashore after sunset. Unfortunately we didn’t spot any at the park, but the seaside walk was gorgeous and peaceful.
    Read more