Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Boston - Exploring Downtown

    September 10, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    With Boston, MA being a city with huge historical significance it's difficult to pick some places without making a history lesson out of it.

    So just some items I found interesting
    👆 Trinity Church - the building is listed as one of the ten greatest buildings in the country. The interior is stunning and has remarkable stained glass windows. At least as remarkable is the contrast of old versus new with mirrored tower blocks standing next to historic buildings
    👆Boston Public Library - was America's first free city Library. The building and interior are beautiful. It contains a collection of the 'Documented History of the Presidency' of various presidents, e.g. JFK, Ronald Reagan, George W Bush etc. Didn't find anything from the Trump Presidency though (probably too early for that)
    👆Boston Public Garden - was the first botanical garden in US when it opened in 1839.
    👆Beacon Hill - in the 19th century described as the "most civilised street in America". The area is named after a wooden beacon that once stood on the hill to warn residents of attacks or fire.
    Walking the streets on Beacon Hill, the houses are just stunning properties
    👆Rose Fitzgerald Greenway & the Big Dig -
    The Greenway consists of landscaped gardens, promenades, plazas, fountains and stretches over one mile through downtown neighborhoods.
    The creation of the park is linked to a megaproject (Big Dig) that rerouted the main highway through the heart of the city, into the 1.5-mile tunnel. What an engineering feat.
    👆North End - Hannover Street, the Italian heart in the city. Lots of restaurants, cafés, bakeries and bars. Great atmosphere, especially on Sunday when everyone is out for Sunday lunch and a Procession is moving through the streets
    👆Quincy Market - was the city's fish, meat and produce market. Today it offers lots of tempting dining options.
    👆 Esplanade - an area along Charles River with lagoons and parkland. Busy place at the weekend with people hanging out there. There were so many hammocks that have been put up between trees but we think there must be an early morning race to secure the best place. They looked very cozy though.
    Read more