Satellite
  • Day 6

    On To Morocco

    July 15, 2018 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today is another travel day. We’re off to Morroco so Georgia can see Monkeys. She took a primatology class last year and thought it would be so much fun to see them in the wild. I’m on a quest to see all seven continents so Africa makes number 5. I think the hardest and most expensive continent will be Antarctica so I better start saving up now.

    Since I don’t have a lot to write about today, I thought this might be a good opportunity to talk about our Airbnb. I’ve never actually stayed in an Airbnb but Georgia really wanted to try it so that’s what we’re doing. We spent a great deal of time trying to find the perfect one. There are lots of things I like about it. First, it is just steps away from the Mercat Central. Fresh ingredients are right there if we ever get around to cooking. I really appreciate the fresh squeezed Valencian orange juice and the glazed croissants for breakfast. Also, there are street restaurants and historical sights all within an easy walk for us. One of the reasons we chose this apartment was that it had two bathrooms. This makes for easy mornings. We also wanted air conditioning though it pretty much only keeps the upper level cool. The lower level, where Georgia sleeps, is quite a bit warmer and I would really struggle with sleeping there. Georgia doesn’t like it too cold though so we’re both happy.

    Now for the negatives. I expected someone to meet us at the apartment, go over the set up, and ask if we had any questions. At least that’s what I’ve read other people experience with Airbnb. Instead, the bike shop on the lower level had our keys, told us where to go, and talked about what key opens what door. That’s it. When we first got there, we couldn’t get the air conditioning to work so the nice man at the bike shop came and showed us what to do. I feel like there was something lost in not getting to meet the owner or at least the apartment manager.Second, I wish we were closer to the subway. Though it’s only a 10-15 minute walk, it feels much longer when you’ve been at the beech and sightseeing. Along with the walk to the metro are the stairs. 63 steep, winding steps to get to the apartment. As much as I need to be climbing stairs, sometimes I absolutely dread it. I know hauling the suitcases up was not fun so I’m not looking forward to hauling them down. Finally, I really like having maid service. With Airbnb there is nobody to make my bed, wash my sheets and towels, and clean up after me. I think that’s something I miss from an Airbnb.

    Update: We we’re flying on TAP Airlines from Valencia to Lisbon to Marrakesh. The flight out of Valencia was late. We probably could have made our flight in Lisbon except for passport control. The lines were long and they had very few people. To make it worse, people kept taking cuts so they wouldn’t miss their flight. We knew that most of the people in line were also missing flights so we didn’t try to take cuts. What we did have was a kind woman named Joann. She worked for TAP airlines and met us at the gate when we got off the plane. She was trying to get the passport officers to get us through the line quickly but the request was denied. Since she didn’t think we would make it, she had rebooked us on a different airlines. She was right and we’re now waiting for our new flight to Casablanca and then onto Marrakech.

    Update: This flight is delayed!

    We made it to Casablanca and I feel total culture shock. The airport waiting room is absolute chaos. This is a big but really old airport. We are in the commuter terminal which is one big room with about 5 gates. There is very little seating so people are sprawled out on the floor. Apparently they allow smoking because I can smell it. Babies are crying and people are talking loud. I got in the long line for the bathrooms and learned a valuable lesson the lines are merely suggestions and not necessarily the rule. This place was absolutely an assault on our senses. I had always wanted to see Casablanca because of the movie. I will never go back due to that craziness. PS: the song, As Time Goes By, keeps going through my head. I still love that movie,

    Update: I know this is a shocker but this flight is delayed!

    We finally made it to Marrakech about 6 hours late. Customs is a crazy, slow moving, long line. Fortunately, I had booked an airport transfer ahead of time because it’s close to midnight here. We were trying to never be outside our hotel after dark just for safety reasons. The streets to our Riad are so narrow that a car can’t pass but we are being escorted right to the door. Good thing we had arranged that because we would have never found the place on our own.
    Read more