Satellite
  • Day 131

    Drift snorkel

    March 16, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Besides snorkeling we also wanted to see a bit more of the landscape here in Cape Range. There's generally not much to hike in this area which is mainly infinite fields of sand and bushes. But at the southernmost point of this ocean road there was an actual creek (water!) where we could hike to. There were a lot of flies so we once more had to wear our head nets, but that also made us realize that we hadn't really needed them much in the past few days. We naturally started as early as possible to avoid the heat, but nonetheless it was very warm, especially on the way back. But the walk was nice, and we even saw a turtle swimming in the creek at the turnaround point.

    We drove to Turquoise Bay, where we had been 2 days ago as well. Back then we snorkeled in the bay, but this time we'd snorkel on the other side of it, in the so called drift. There's a strong sideways current here, so you can go in at one end, mostly float to the other side, and walk back to the starting point if you want to go again. It was an interesting way to snorkel, although the first time we felt like we were passing the coral so quickly due to the current that we struggled to really get a close look at everything. The second time we turned around a few times to swim against the current in order to give some areas a better look. The fish weren't anything special, but the coral reef was probably the best we've seen. Huge amounts of it and easy to get lost on. A very blue patch, several green ones, some tiny pink ones and for the rest lots of brownish but interestingly shaped corals. The tide was spot on so we were very close to it.
    However especially at this drift snorkel it was important to have frequent looks at the beach to know where we were, so that we'd return to it on time and not get dragged away to open sea.

    After lunch we had another try at the bay side for snorkeling. It was nice to swim without a current, but the visibility was clearly worse than on the drift side and there was also nothing new to spot. In the evening we again had a try at spotting hatching baby turtles. But third time wasn't the charm. Perfect sunset though, finally!
    Read more