Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Do we stay or do we go?

    September 29, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    During the night 🌃, our phones 📞 pinged multiple times, and the news we had been dreading Patti had left the boat and was on the way to the hospital. But the patient was Greg, who had been taken ill and rushed to the hospital 🏥 So, the trip started with a dilemma and is now ending with a dilemma. Greg had been admitted in hospital, Patti was with him, and the Viking ship 🚢 had departed for Kinderdiyk with the rest of the Viking Cruisers and all of Greg & Patti's belongings. The dilemma we had was do we cancel our flight home and stay in Amsterdam to support Patti. Do we fly home and then book return flights back to Amsterdam or does Jayne stay and I fly home check on my mum and fly back to Amsterdam later with fresh clothes etc.? After much discussion and soul searching it was decided we would both fly home and then fly back if Patti needed us. Fortunately, she didn't, and Greg was discharged a couple of days later. A fast train 🚆 later, and they caught up with the boat in Cologne, Germany 🇩🇪. For us we checked out of the hotel at 7:00 am caught the airport shuttle bus and went swiftly through passport control but not without a questioning look about leaving, arriving and leaving again all within 20 hours!!!
    Fortunately, a working aircraft was there, and as we taxied out; I had my final reminder of my time 40 years ago by passing the hangar that I worked on the Boeing 747's in 🛫.
    Read more