Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Poorly Penguin 🐧 Stays Home...

    October 21, 2023 in Lithuania ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    It was not a good day today as this little penguin had a sleepless night and developed a “stinking” cold 🤧, so after breakfast, I sought refuge back in my bed 😴 at the Radisson!! This left Jayne with a free day to do as she pleased apart from regular refreshment visits to her TWO room bound travelling companions. So, there are no photographs today but a chance to share some of the Street Art we saw in Kaunas.

    1st Photo is the Bearer of Light by Vytenis Jakas, 2019

    2nd Photo is ‘Wise Old Man’ has become an Instagram staple; an enormous mural that dominates the entire side of a former shoe factory on the leafy avenue of Jonavos Street. The giant gentleman in question — wearing a red bodysuit while smoking a pipe bigger than his own head — is Jurgis Maciunas, a Kaunas-born artist who carried Lithuanian modern art into the wider world in the mid-20th century. He would have known the surrounding streets and buildings well — including Kaunas Castle, the medieval stronghold whose striking red-brick tower stands directly opposite the painting. Painted as a tribute to influential Kaunas-born artist Jurgis Maciunas, the 'Wise Old Man' mural adorns the side of an old shoe factory.

    3rd Photo is a big mural that can be found on the walls all over the city. This particular one was painted by a well-known Lithuanian artist, Ernest Zacharevic (who also has works in Vilnius or Warsaw).

    4th Photo is apparently one of the best street art pieces; “Princess on a Horse”. It was painted by a 7-year-old girl, Gabija, and then transferred to the wall by one of the artists. This is such a cute mural, and it definitely puts a smile on your face with its bright colours!

    Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how interested you are, I could not find any information on the remaining street art photographs that I took.
    Read more