Satellite
  • Day 341

    Daintree Rainforest Day 1

    May 10, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    After yesterday's snorkeling, I had dinner with Richard and Christine, then went to bed pretty early.

    This morning, they saw me off at about 09:00 for my overnight trip in the Daintree Rainforest.

    Our first stop was in Mossman Gorge where we were treated to an Aboriginal smoking ceremony and skin painting demonstration. We took a short walk into the gorge where we saw the remains of a brush turkey nest. There is a beautiful swimming spot (no crocs) and a suspension bridge. It's a very beautiful place.

    Now we're on a boat (might be big enough) in the Daintree River about to see if we can find some of the big Salties.

    So long [for now] and thanks for all the fish. ✌️

    P.S.: I've added the results of the river cruise because I have so many pictures to for tomorrow's post.

    We first saw juvenile 2.2-meter (7-foot) croc, approximately 10-12 years old, which could've been either male or female. Females get about 2.5 meters.

    Next we saw "Scarface," a 4.5-meter (almost 15 feet) male estimated to weigh 650 kilograms (over 1400 pounds). He's the dominant male in this 6-10 kilometer stretch of water. Behind him, there is a smaller female. The last picture has an arrow to point her out.

    These are perfect predators. Despite how far away we were--my camera was at maximum zoom--the guide said if you went overboard, he could not get you back in the boat before Scarface would eat you. The rule of thumb around here is that crocs only eat stupid people. I like to that it's more like foolish people. Either way, the crocs will try to take you if you make yourself prey. Terrifyingly magnificent.

    Read this for a heartbreaking story from 2016:
    https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/last-w…

    And this follow up story last year from the surviving friend:
    https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/new…
    Read more