Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Cuenca was cool!

    September 10, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    We just returned from 5 great days in Cuenca. We hadn’t been planning to visit Cuenca so soon, but after our misadventures with accommodations in Canoa, we decided we needed to redeem ourselves as competent bookers of airbnbs. Plus we have a few more days until Talia starts school and we figured we might as well explore.

    Cuenca was lovely—beautiful views, good food, endless bakeries and tons to see. We wandered through narrow streets, pretty parks, packed markets and endless churches. The churches inspired Talia to ask a lot of questions about Judaism, Christianity and the origins of humanity, so we stopped in a planetarium to learn about the Big Bang, galaxies, etc. Or, at least I think it was a planetarium and I think the movie was about the Big Bang--can't be sure since it was in Spanish.

    In addition to exploring the city, we took a trip to Cajas National Park, right outside the city. A driver took us to the top of a mountain, where we hopped out for a freezing photo before heading back down for a hike around Llaviucu Lake in more temperate weather. The hike was gorgeous and it gave us an opportunity to spy our first group of wild llamas. Some adventurers had pitched a tent in the field of llamas, and we all wondered if the llamas were as aggressive about stealing food as the "wild" horses of Assateague.

    Oh, and importantly, we stayed in a wonderful Airbnb in the center of the city, with an amazing view from the roof deck. Addie and Charles can relax a bit--no immediate needs for their travel agent skills.

    Highlights for Talia included:

    -cashing in on bribes at the many bakeries
    -enjoying an incredibly rickety and old amusement park created to freak out anxious parents high in the hills above Cuenca
    -buying fruit from mango and pineapple vendors on the street (this exists on Mt. Pleasant street too, but for some reason is way more exciting in Ecuador)
    -swimming in pools fed from hot springs (“even warmer than Judy Lappin’s pool,”per Talia)
    -playing catch with some kids in Parque San Sebastián
    -schlepping to the top of catherdrals
    -and a direct quote "Cuenca was really beautiful and sunny, and we saw llamas."

    My highlights included:

    -finding haircare products (terrifyingly, these appear to be non-existent in Olon, which means that my hair may soon expand to the size of a small planet)
    -more vitamin D. We had some great sunny days in Cuenca, though, as I’m sure I’ll discuss in future posts, the weather in Ecuador is strange.
    -watching the impact of two glasses of wine at 8800 ft on Kyla (it involved her joining a late night outdoor Zumba class on the steps of St. Sebastian church). I have not been authorized to release the video, but will forever remember Talia trying to tackle Kyla while yelling "MOMMY, STOP DANCING!!! PLEASE!!!"
    -llamas!

    Kyla's highlights included:
    -sunrise with coffee and sunset with wine on the roof deck
    -home office at 8000 Ft
    -mountains!
    -llamas!

    Overall, Cuenca was our favorite spot so far. We took so many photos that I may have to divide this into multiple posts.
    Read more