Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9- A Day in Segovia

    August 21, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    Segovia boasts the most impressive collection of historic buildings on this trip so far! The disneyesque Alcázar, the Segovia Cathedral, and the Roman aqueduct bridge (see video) are all jaw-dropping and it’s no surprise that the latter is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s one of the best preserved aqueducts in the world; the date of construction is thought to be sometime between 86-117 AD. If you aren’t currently a fan of aqueducts, the sight of this one will change your mind!

    We planned ahead this time and had tickets to tour the Alcázar and climb the 152 steps to the top of the Torre de Juan II, named for the king who commissioned this impressive addition. Despite the 90 degree heat, it was well worth the effort for a panoramic view of the city!

    The story of this castle dates back to the beginning of Moorish rule. The Moors constructed their “Alcázars" or strongholds in a number of places in today's Spain and Portugal. It is unknown exactly when this castle or fortress was built, but it was sometime between the 7th and 9th century. The photo collage below showcases the throne room, a turret, the ornate wooden ceiling of a large ballroom, a Rapunzel-like view from the keep, and a stained glass window in the chapel.

    Segovia falls in one of Spain’s regions where regardless of what you order to drink, you will always receive a tapas with it. So our coffees this morning came with small Spanish omelette sandwiches. Later, when we stopped for two “Claras con limón” (one part Spanish beer and one part lemon soda), we received a plate of mini-mystery sausages. Lunch was a bit of a fail (saved by a mango sorbet) as we hadn’t made reservations (mandatory on a Saturday in Segovia in August).

    We’re off to Andalucía tomorrow!
    Read more