Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Painting class- Day 3

    May 17, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    Today kicked off with an optional critique (only one brave soul). It was raining so the morning lecture/demo was canceled and we sketched inside the Basilica de San Frediano (a 6th century church here in Lucca). The church was beautiful but I struggled to find a subject that spoke to me. (I kept thinking that maybe abstract painting would work better… though we weren’t permitted to paint inside).
    The rain cleared out for the afternoon and we were able to sit in a cafe on the Puccini plaza and watch Tom paint a demo. Construction noise and throngs of tourists made it difficult to hear/concentrate at times (plein air painting is so different than studio work). Tom helped several of us with human forms; he’s articulate and a good teacher. After class Paul and I strolled the city and visited a beautiful art supply store… it’s probably a good thing there isn’t a store like this in Estepona.
    Tonight was the group dinner and at my table we hailed from the USA, Spain, Latvia, and Switzerland. It was fun talking about our favorite artists and how we came to learn about Thomas Schaller and this course.
    We are painting on the city walls tomorrow and there’s no rain in the forecast!
    Read more