Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    The Emu has Landed

    September 18, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Thank goodness for extra legroom on the second leg; we were all well an truly over travelling by now. Shrimp and rice for the first breakfast set the tone for things to come, although I slept through the second breakfast which was the first and last pie we'd have for a while.

    The headrest displays showed a view from the bottom of the plane so you could watch the landscape, which was pretty cool. The movies were average, but the kids had the right idea by downloading episodes onto their phones before boarding; impressively organised!

    Narita Airport was predictably busy, but there were so many helpful staff milling around, telling you where to go. Our transfer driver was so pleasant and patient with our weary brains; guiding us to the Currency Exchange and then to his van. He was at least 75 years old, a tiny little fella who moved so nimbly and loaded up all our luggage despite Paul's offers of help. Super impressive. Delirious with 24 hours of travel, we couldn't remember his name as we settled into the cool van complete with water and moist towelettes. It sounded like Pikachu, but not quite. I know, I know. Our cultural sensitivity could be better.
    Read more