Satellite
Show on map
  • Denver: Art Museum Wrap Up

    December 23, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Our friends, Sonia and Boris, must have been just steps ahead of us as we wandered through the Monet exhibit at the Denver Art Museum (see the previous footprint for the words and photos associated with that part of our day). It wasn't until the "lily gallery" that we spied them listening intently to their audioguide.

    Once we all exited the exhibit, we met up with them to finalize the details for our lunch date. Then, this being our first visit to the Denver Art Museum, off we went to check out the remaining exhibits. We had about ½-hour before we had to leave the museum for our lunch reservation, so I can't say that we did justice to what we saw.

    That said, I'm glad we took the time to check out the top two floors of the museum as it was on the fourth floor that we found the "Lucas Samaras Corridor #2" installation. Think of this as a mirror tunnel ... the floor, walls, and the ceiling are all clad with mirrors. Visitors don booties to protect the glass from scratches before they enter to walk through the box-like structure. It was almost like being inside a kaleidoscope. The changing images as one walks through the tunnel make for a fascinating experience.

    Leaving the museum shortly after noon, we drove to Yahya's Mediterranean Grill on Colfax Avenue to meet up with Sonia and Boris. As they will be on an extended trip beginning January 4, I'm glad we had this chance for a short reunion. We all enjoyed the camaraderie and the delicious, made-to-order food ... so much so that we forgot to take a photo of the group. The surprise of the day? Turns out that Yahya is not only of Turkish descent, he's from my hometown of İzmir. It's a small world indeed!
    Read more