Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    SQD3: Find the Humor

    March 23, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 52 °F

    Self-quarantine day 3.

    Another quiet evening yesterday ... episodes of another series we watch caught up on ... another good night's rest. Up and at 'em around 5:00a ... a tad before my usual time, but it was nice to get some chores out of the way early so I could add some fun stuff to my day ... like writing.

    The two remaining bags from our overseas jaunt have been in quarantine in the garage since our arrival Friday. Yesterday, Mui disinfected the bags ... today we brought them into the house. The contents are unpacked and put away. Yay!

    While I was putting a ✔︎ next to our last travel-tasker on the to-do list, Mui was busy in the kitchen. First, he turned some blueberries into blueberry sauce. We'll use the sauce to flavor our breakfast yogurt ... and should he take it into his mind to make a cheesecake, the sauce will be ready to use as a topping 🤪. As well, he cranked up the slow cooker to make some shredded beef and also cooked up a batch of artichokes using a Turkish recipe for a dish that is served at room temperature.

    (P.S. If you'd like to try your hand at making the artichoke dish, google recipes for Turkish style artichokes or zeytinyağlı enginar.)

    Chores completed by mid-morning, we went out for a walk around the neighborhood. Saw only two other couples the entire time we were out. Despite the full sunshine, there was a stiff breeze that added a chill factor. Bundled up, we enjoyed the fresh air anyway. The temp is expected to get up into 70F by the middle of the week, but high winds continue to be in the forecast, so we'll see just how much time we'll be able to spend outdoors.

    I've mentioned before that there is an arroyo — a dry creek bed — running in front of our subdivision. When we came back from Europe last November, we noticed kids playing in the eroded crevices in the arroyo. The ground being unstable, this was a dangerous situation that we reported to the community managers. They told us at the time that the arroyo was going to be graded to reduce the risk of any soil collapses.

    Surprise ... the work started in our absence. So now we can watch the machines at work ... free entertainment, if you will. Kidding aside, we're glad the developer is taking care of what is a potentially dangerous area to make the community safer for everyone.

    All in all ... a good day.

    Stay safe ... stay healthy. And, as the pandemic rages, try to find the humor. I'm not saying to take the coronavirus lightly. Far from it ... we all need to take the circumstances we find ourselves in very seriously. But our mindset and mental health are an important element in the fight against the virus. It's OK to laugh a bit ... it's essential.
    Read more