Satellite
Show on map
  • Almost Locked Out On Our Day Off

    September 2, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    It got up to about 86F in Keystone and Custer today. Pretty darn hot. But not as hot as it was in Rapid City ... or the Badlands ... where it reached 96F. So, we postponed our sightseeing plans and stayed home today ... where it didn’t quite reach 80F.

    A nice patio to enjoy ... plenty of shade ... a light breeze. We’d taken the screen shelter down because of some strong winds that came through a few days ago. Glad we put it back up yesterday as it helped to keep out the worst of the black flies and bees that seem to be all over the Black Hills. Unfortunately, it didn’t stop a bee from stinging Mui today. Nothing serious, luckily.

    We did have a near-mishap when we almost got locked out of the Cruiser today. We were both outside. The A/C was running, so the door to the Cruiser was closed. When I went to go inside, the door would not open. Huh!?! Luckily we had a spare key in the CR-V and the car was unlocked! The main door would not unlock, but we were able to get inside through the cockpit doors.

    Don’t ask me how, but it turns out the latch bolt mechanism had somehow broken. We can’t get a replacement shipped here prior to our departure, so we will have to do without. The good news? The deadbolt on the door is still operational ... we’ll be OK to take the Cruiser on the road when we’re ready to return to Colorado.

    Just because we stayed home today doesn’t mean we didn’t see any wildlife. The white-tailed deer that frequent the campground came by to graze and check things out ... ❤️
    Read more