Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Killarney NP: Ross Castle

    June 23, 2019 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 59 °F

    We woke up to a cool, rainy day. Had we been at home, we probably would have cozied up to the fireplace with a hot beverage and a book. But since we are on a road trip in Ireland, off we went to do a bit of sightseeing in Killarney National Park.

    This park is the first national park in Ireland. It was created when the Muckross Estate was donated to the Irish Free State in 1932. Having been added to since then, the park covers a wide expanse of green space with trails and interesting sites. Since the rain put paid to our hiking plans, we focused on the sites instead.

    First up — Ross Castle. We could have walked there from Emerville House, but the clouds were threatening continued rain, and Mui was still feeling poorly, so we drove over to the castle. Our timing was good. A coach tour was leaving as we arrived. No big crowds ... just some independents like us wandering around the grounds.

    Situated on land overlooking Lough Leane, one of the lakes within the park boundaries, Ross Castle begs for blue skies and sunshine as a backdrop. Instead, the overcast and drizzly conditions showed us the “moody” side of the castle.

    One can only visit the interior on a 45-minute tour. Had the weather been cooperating with our plans, we would have skipped the tour as there’s not much to see inside ... and no photography is allowed. But it wasn’t. Being indoor for a bit of respite from the rain and cold sounded good. The tour was included with our Heritage Card anyway. We had a great guide, who brought life back in the day alive with the stories he told us. In the end, we were happy to have taken the tour.

    P.S: After using our OPW Heritage Card at Ross Castle, we are now in the black by €1 each. Definitely a good buy.
    Read more