Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 14

    Spirit Houses of Eklutna

    16 maja 2021, Stany Zjednoczone ⋅ ⛅ 50 °F

    The Eklutna Historical Park is one of my favorite places to visit. We make a point of going there anytime we are in the Anchorage area. Knowing Deniz’s interest in Native American cultures and the proximity of the park to Thunderbird Falls, we headed there next.

    The only time we’ve been able to visit the small museum was in 2001. When we returned in 2010, it was closed due to a dispute with the tribal elders. Today, it was closed due to COVID-19. Nonetheless, there was a cash-box nearby, so we were able to pay the $5pp admission and go for a wander.

    Eklutna is the area's oldest continuously inhabited Dena'ina Athabascan Indian settlement — estimates range from 300 to 1,000 years. On the grounds of the park are two Russian Orthodox churches and a still-active cemetery where the graves are covered with colorful spirit houses ... some crumbling away ... in the way the Athabascans believe that all that is taken from earth must be returned to earth.

    Prior to the arrival of the Orthodox missionaries, the Athabascans cremated their dead. Later, their beliefs and traditions became blended with the Orthodox practices and they began to bury their dead.

    When the deceased is first buried, a blanket is placed over the grave to comfort the soul and keep it warm as it transitions from this world to the next. Forty days later, a miniature house, painted in the family colors, is placed over the blanket to house the spirit and possessions of the deceased. Some of these houses are quite elaborate ... others are simple wooden structures.

    It’s an enchanting place — if that is the right word to use — to wander around ... and a peaceful and serene place as well.
    Czytaj więcej