Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Back to the Front Country & Moose Famiy

    June 2, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 50 °F

    Blue skies ... sunshine. That’s what we woke up to on our last morning at the Teklanika River Campground. For about ten seconds, I debated canceling our departure and staying another day. But no, we had new places to explore ... best to move on.

    Animals tend to be out and about early in the morning and late in the evening, so I was surprised there weren’t many critters wandering where we could see them. The exception ... a ptarmigan pair that was pecking at who knows what along the road and cooperated for a photo op. And also a lone caribou grazing on a hillside. That was the extent of our sightings this morning on the Park Road.

    Critters may have been few and far between, but “the Mountain” was out once again in its full glory, giving us a majestic backdrop for another selfie. Denali ... we thank you for gracing us with your presence so many times on this trip.

    When we arrived at the Riley Creek Mercantile who should be there but mama moose and one of her calves ... ready to escort us to the dump station. I was afraid the other calf had not made it since it was nowhere to be seen, but I have since heard from a volunteer at Denali NP that he saw the twins this afternoon. Whew!
    Read more