Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    A-Wander in Fairbanks

    June 7, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    From the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitor Center, we headed off for a stroll along the River Walk ... 1.5 miles. Somehow, though, we got sidetracked off the path and ended up meandering around the city.

    If not for the beautiful weather encouraging a change to our plans, we might have found our way back to the River Walk. Instead, we decided to have lunch so we could make the 2:00p tour at our next stop.

    Alas, lunch was a bust. The first place recommended to us by the VC was closed for construction. The second place was closed for lunch. The third place was closed on Mondays. The fourth place — Lavelle’s Bistro — was open and we went in. We were OK that the service was slow ... we’d been warned about it. But the food, when it was served, wasn’t worth the wait. I guess this falls into the “you win some, you lose some category.”

    —————————————

    The white church pictured is the Immaculate Conception Church. Constructed in 1904, it was originally situated on a “non-choice” lot. In 1911, it was rolled across the ice and set where it is located today.
    Read more