Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Worthington Glacier State Rec Site

    June 29, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    We left Wrangell View RV Park around 10:00a and drove the 34 miles to the Richardson Highway where it junctions with the Edgerton. From there, we turned left and headed south.

    We had a vague idea that we would be boondocking somewhere with a view of the Worthington Glacier. That decision was solidified at milepost 34 ... where we spotted the glacier and the icefield that fills the terrain between the Girls Mountains.

    But first, we went to the state recreation site that is named for the glacier. It is said to be the most-visited SRS in the system. No wonder, really. The four-mile long glacier is right off the road, and at least one arm is easily accessed on foot by way of a short scramble.

    The SRS is day use only — $5 for parking. We paid our dues and had lunch in the Cruiser before heading out to hike the short trail, which follows the melt water that roars down the rocky bed to a glacial lake with a beautiful view of the valley as a backdrop.

    The trail takes hikers to the toe of the glacier. We stayed well away as it is never smart to approach a glacier from below. We were happy just seeing the brilliant blue of the heavily compacted ice ... no need to put ourselves in danger.
    Read more