Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Day 57 Ends with a Rainbow in Chitina

    June 28, 2021 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 57 °F

    Sometime last night, we made the decision to stay in Chitina tonight instead of driving all the way to the Richardson Highway.

    We considered boondocking or camping at Liberty Falls State Recreation Site in Chitina. But in the end, an FHU campsite where Mui could wash the vehicles won out. So we are back at the Wrangell View RV Park, about five miles outside Chitina.

    The 60-mile dirt road that we drove in 5 hours going to McCarthy, we did in 3 hours this time. Not because we drove faster ... our average speed was still about 25-30 mph. Rather, familiarity with the road and fewer stops en route made the difference. The road did feel a little bumpier in the Chitina direction ... I think all the rain added some more washboards and potholes.

    We arrived to an entirely empty campground. But checking the site reservations, it was apparent that would be changing. But we were good for the night. We’ve since been joined by one other RV, so it looks like we’ll have a quiet night.

    Today’s on and off sprinkles rewarded us with a rainbow this evening. Mui accommodated me when I asked him to drive me down to the airstrip for a photo op. A good way to end our day.
    Read more