Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Begich, Boggs Visitor Center

    July 10, 2021 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 48 °F

    Wow! What a windy night we had at our boondock overlooking a glacial lake. And it never stopped raining throughout the night … not for one minute.

    It was still raining when we woke up. It continued to rain while we had breakfast and discussed our plans for the day … hiking was out on such a day; as was the cruise to Portage Glacier and the tram at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood. It continued to rain as we headed over to the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center … overlooking Portage Lake.

    Our visit to Portage Lake this year is our third time here. The first time, in June 2021, the visitor center was already closed when we came back through the Whittier Tunnel. But we got to enjoy some amazing scenery at the ice-filled lake. In August 2010, there were no icebergs to enjoy … and our time was limited, so we took a pass on the VC in order to hike to Byron Glacier. This time we were bound and determined to visit the VC before continuing on with our plans.

    The interesting thing about this VC, which was built on the terminal moraine of Portage Glacier, is that it was designed to give visitors views of the glacier. Alas, by the time the VC was constructed, Portage Glacier had receded around the corner and there were no views of it to be enjoyed … though other views filled the void. Not today, however, as everything was veiled by the rain and fog.

    Despite the lack of glacier views, the VC is a great place to visit. We thoroughly enjoyed the movie … “Retreat & Renewal: Stories from Alaska’s Chugach National Forest.” The exhibits — many of them interactive — were also wonderful and very informative.

    A great place to spend an hour or so on a cold, rainy morning.
    Read more