Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 87

    Day 87 Ends @ Rhein Haus

    July 28, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 91 °F

    OK … so it’s too early to end the day with a late lunch, but after our mid-day meal we went back to Lily Cottage where it was nice and cool and did little more than watch TV, read and write. So, I’d rather end our “FindPenguins Footprint Day” with the delicious German food we had.

    When we stopped by the visitor center yesterday, we asked for recommendations for restaurants featuring a German menu. After all, we’re in Bavaria, right?

    Of the two places recommended, one was closed today … due to lack of kitchen help, we were told when we ran into someone who works their. When we asked him for a suggestion, he said we could try the Rhein Haus, one of the restaurants on Front Street and the second one on our list. “It’s not as good as our food, but it’s pretty good,” was the comment that accompanied the suggestion.

    Anyway, despite the hot temperature, there was a nice breeze and lots of umbrellas to provide shade, so we took a table on the terrace. Just like so many restaurants we’ve been to this year, the Rhein Haus is also struggling with finding enough help. So, instead of having waitresses come around to take orders, they ask customers to scan the QR code for the menu, study it online, and go to the outdoor bar to place their food and beverage order. Easy.

    Service was nonetheless prompt. Our beverages were delivered within minutes of placing our order and our food came out a few minutes later. We found the food to be very tasty, with the appropriate German side dishes heaped on our plates. I wouldn’t mind returning to the Rhein Haus again … maybe to have one of their giant pretzels with beer. If we don’t make it back, however, we will definitely check out the Rhein Haus in Denver.

    We were tempted by the desserts on the Rhein Haus menu, but decided to return to the Whistlepunk next door for delicious ice cream … a great choice on a hot, hot, hot day.

    ———————————————

    For those interested in such things …

    I ordered the pork schnitzel, with mashed potatoes, gravy, and warm braised red cabbage. Mui ordered the Rhein Brat … bratwurst wrapped in Applewood smoked bacon and served with sauerkraut and fries. We washed our food down with ginger beer (me) and a blood orange lemonade. (Beer would have been the more appropriate choice for our meal, but it was too darn hot to be drinking anything alcoholic.)
    Read more