Satellite
  • Day 88

    Quiet Morn & Lunch @ Andreas Keller

    July 29, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 93 °F

    With our restaurant of choice opening early for lunch, we decided to have a quiet morning at home, go out for our meal, and then visit a museum today.

    The plan turned out to be perfect because the temperature this morning was comfortable enough to have breakfast on the patio again. And afterwards, I continued sitting out — reading and writing — until it was time to get ready for an early lunch. By then, the temp was heating up anyway, so it was time to go inside.

    The restaurant we went to for lunch was Andreas Keller, which boasts traditional, homemade Bavarian food prepared by a German chef. We’d heard that it was popular, so we arrived a few minutes before they opened the doors at 11:30a. By the time our meal was served, all the tables were occupied, including the “stammtisch” … a table often found in small German village restaurants … reserved for the owner and his guest.

    Seated in a booth that looked like it was set inside a barrel, we enjoyed the Bavarian ambiance, the murals, and the excellent food and service. I must say that the schnitzel was one of the best I’ve had outside of Germany.

    We will be returning for another meal before we leave Leavenworth.

    ————————————————-

    For those interested in such things, Mui and I both ordered the Classic Pork Wiener Schnitzel, served with lemon wedges and cold German potato salad (made with vinegar instead of mayonnaise) … though I did order a side of the mushroom sauce for dipping. I had a Helles — a light lager — to wash down my food. Mui ordered a glass of Gewürztraminer, a white wine. I’m not much for pies and strudels, so Mui enjoyed the apple strudel all on his own. (Not that I went without a sweet treat … I got myself ice cream from Whistlepunk. Blackberry Fool was my flavor of choice … and the best one of the three I’ve had.
    Read more