Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    Day 88 Ends @ the Nutcracker Museum

    July 29, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 95 °F

    After our delicious lunch, we walked a few steps up from the restaurant to visit the Nutcracker Museum.

    This is a boutique museum that was founded in 1995 by the Wagners, who donated not only their collection of nutcrackers, but also the building in which the museum is housed. Over the years, the collection has grown to some 7,000+ nutcrackers.

    After paying the admission,, we were directed to a small room where we watched a video that explained the process of making the “toy soldier nutcrackers” … the ones inspired by the Nutcracker Ballet. I’ve seen these types of nutcrackers, and even had a couple. But I had no idea how they were made … quite interesting to see how they are put together.

    Then we wandered the aisles between glass enclosed cabinets with shelves filled with all kinds of nutcrackers … from all around the world … in all shapes and sizes … from individual pieces to collections based on ballets, movies and TV shows, festival and special events, and more … using different methods to crack nuts, from direct or indirect pressure, to screw, and percussion.

    It turned out to be a fascinating place to visit and I am glad we took the time to do so.
    Read more