Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Back South to Sisimiut

    August 6, 2022 in Greenland ⋅ ☁️ 41 °F

    Remember how I said there are only two places around here where we can top off the ship´s fuel tanks? Well, that’s what brought us back south … to Sisimiut, Greenland’s second largest community. Although we’re still north of the Arctic Circle, this town — with a population of little more than 5,000 — is considered the island’s northernmost ice-free harbor in the winter.

    Once Ultramarine was docked — yes, no zodiac landing today — off we went for a wander around Sisimiut. Quark had arranged for a tour with local guides and a “tasting of Greenlandic delicacies” … that included crab and shrimp, but also whale blubber and seal. Since we had done both the tour and the tasting in 2013, Mui and I decided to take off on our own this time.

    (The story of our 2013 visit — in words and images (including the delicacies Mui tasted) — is at this link: http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2014/01/sisimiut-….)

    Our wander first took us further into town … to places where the locals live and shop. People were going about their daily business and it just didn’t feel right to take photograph of them doing so. No photos, I’m afraid. I did, nonetheless, get plenty of memory-shots of the colorful houses dotting the landscape. And when the overcast, foggy conditions gave way to short-lived blue skies … well, all bets were off and the phone clicked away, creating new memories.

    We had planned to have coffee and pastries at a cafe recommended by one of our expedition guides. By the time we arrived, however, the place was packed with locals. Nowhere to sit. Plus, we didn’t want to intrude. Time to retrace our steps.

    On our way back to the ship, we stopped at the museum, which we visited in 2013 as well. Quark had once again pre-paid the admission for us, so we wandered around the buildings, checking out the various exhibits.

    Once we returned to Ultramarine, there was a surprise in store for us all. While we watched from the ship, a local man demonstrated his kayak skills … essential to living and hunting in this part of the world. How he did not get a brain freeze as he rolled his kayak over and over again is beyond me. (No video this time, but there is a short gif file in the link I inserted above.)

    An excellent time in Greenland — unexpected in terms of some of the places we visited — has now wrapped up. Ultramarine has been “fed” … the fuel tanks are topped off. Time to head west across the Davis Strait.
    Read more