Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Crossing the Davis Strait

    August 6, 2022 ⋅ ⛅ 39 °F

    On arrival in Sisimiut, Ultramarine’s Master had docked with the ship’s bow facing out to the sea. Thus, when the time came to leave our berth, it was just a matter of letting the lines go. And off we went into the fog … with blue skies giving us hope that the heavy mist might burn off in time.

    It wasn’t meant to be. Within a short while, the fog was as thick as could be. No hope of seeing anything — wildlife or otherwise. In other words, a good time to rest up a bit.

    When we went down to the Ambassadors Theater later for the daily recap and briefing, there was one big question on our minds. Where are we going? OK, two questions. When will we get there being the second one.

    Christian, our Expedition Leader, was ready with ice, wind, and sea charts. He didn’t have to say much. The ice in the south and middle coast of Baffin Island was still problematic. So, instead of a short crossing due west and then north along the coast of Baffin, we’d be taking a longer route, heading north and around the ice … fingers crossed.

    The sea and wind conditions are expected to be kind to us. If that holds true, we should be where we want to go early on the 8th. That means we’ll have a day at sea tomorrow before we begin “expeditioning” anew.
    Read more