Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Back in Baffin Bay Sea Ice

    August 8, 2022 ⋅ ☁️ 34 °F

    Heard some banging and clanging overnight, so obviously we came across more sea ice. It has slowed down our progress a bit.

    When we woke up this morning, we were still in Greenland waters … in the ice once more … slowly making our way through the broken up pans … the more distant ones veiled from our eyes by fog. We enjoyed the experience from our veranda for a while, then went off to grab breakfast.

    After our meal, we wandered the outside decks, checking out the ice views in every direction. We even caught sight of a distant but readily identifiable glimpse of a ringed seal, the favorite prey of the top predator of the Arctic … the polar bear. (I’ve attached an iPhone video of the encounter though it isn’t of the greatest quality.)

    The planned lectures luckily came up on the schedule after we left the ice behind. They filled up the rest of our morning at sea. First, “Photography 102: Modes for Capturing the Arctic” … by expedition photographer Dave. Next, “Frankly Speaking” … designed to introduce us to Sir John Franklin … by guest lecturer/historian Laurie.

    Our day remains fluid. Will we get to have an off-ship activity this afternoon or will we be attending more lectures? Still TBD. Mother Nature has not given us a hint of what she will allow us to do.

    In the meantime, time to grab lunch in the Balena Restaurant.
    Read more