Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Aboard NCR716 @ SFJ

    August 16, 2022 in Greenland ⋅ ⛅ 50 °F

    We’re onboard the National Airlines charter plane … comfy in our first row seats … with plenty of legroom for what we’ve been told will be a flight exactly 4 hours in duration. Everyone else is in their seats as well. We are all ready to take off from SFJ (Kangerlussuaq Airport). Except that the headcount for the number of souls onboard is not jiving with the manifest. While that’s being worked out, I’m going to catch up on my writing.

    Our bus was the first to leave the pier for the 30-minute or so bumpy ride to the airport. Wouldn’t you know it, there was one more glitch in this last bit of our journey. Just as we were in sight of the airport, there was a loud bang. Suddenly, the bus grew quiet … I don’t mean the passengers but the vehicle itself. It felt like we were gliding. Never did find out what the problem was, but luckily we had enough forward momentum to roll up to near the terminal entrance. Last glitch 🤞🏻🤞🏻

    Anyway, we grabbed our checked bags from where they were lined up and went to the check-in counter. There were no signs to tell us where to go, but luckily one of the agents pointed us in the right direction. I’m grateful we were amongst the first to check in as the line behind us quickly grew with fellow-passengers.

    The airport is small … but busy. The seats in the waiting room were already taken by other passengers waiting for their flights to be called. Luckily the day was warm enough that Mui and I found a picnic table where we could while away the time and watch the planes land and take off.

    When the National Airlines plane landed, we made our way through the security checkpoint and pretty much straight into the boarding queue since there were no seats available. Luckily, the incoming Quark passengers — only 69 we were told — deplaned quickly straight onto the buses waiting to take them straight to the pier. It wasn’t a long standing-wait before we were called to board the aircraft.

    And that catches up the footprints for the day thus far. The Quark rep has worked out the manifest issues and the cabin door is now closed. Time to pay attention to the safety briefing that is about to start.
    Read more