Satellite
Show on map
  • Q&A … A Quick Reference

    January 4, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 46 °F

    While FindPenguins is quite easy to use, I do sometimes get questions. So, here’s a quick "Q&A footprint" for those who might need it. (FindPenguins does have a good support page, which you can reach at https://support.findpenguins.com/hc/en-us.)

    The app can be downloaded from the Apple Store and the Google Play Store.

    If you prefer to use the website: https://findpenguins.com/

    DO I HAVE TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT TO READ FOOTPRINTS?
    You can read footprints and view photos by simply opening the link I provided for my feed/trip. You do not need an account. However, without an account, you need to manually open the link each time to check if there is a new post. There are no automatic notifications.

    HOW DO I GET NOTIFIED THAT THERE IS A NEW TRIP OR FOOTPRINT?
    Only followers receive notifications. Confirmed followers are notified about new posts and comments. You can also see trips that are visible to “Followers Only.”

    HOW DO I FOLLOW TWO TO TRAVEL?
    To become a follower, a FindPenguins account needs to be created. You then have to go to my profile using the feed/trip link I provided and click on the “Follow” button on my profile. Once I accept the request, you will start receiving notifications.

    **** Important Note: If you create an account, FindPenguins will automatically give you a premium account. This is a TRIAL for the paid version. Not to worry. YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED. After three months, unless you have specifically taken action to activate the premium account, you will be converted to the free version.

    HOW DO NOTIFICATIONS WORK?
    Once you become a follower, you will immediately receive push notifications about new footprints and comments on the app or the website. This only works if you have enabled push notifications.

    Email notifications: If you confirmed your email address when you set up your account, you will receive emails about new footprints. These emails are sent within 24 hours of a posting, but to keep the mailboxes clean, no more than one email every 3 days.

    By the way … Email notifications are not sent if you have already seen the footprint.

    HOW TO RE-ORDER FOOTPRINTS?
    On the home page (aka the feed), the order is newest to oldest (or “newest first” if you are using the app). The feed is for all of my trips, so posts from different trips could pop up, though this seldom happens when I am actively traveling.

    You can reverse the order if you wish. This is handy if you want to catch up on a trip by reading the existing footprints first.

    To change the order of footprints for a specific trip on the website, click the blue “trip name” link at the top of the footprint. Then click the blue link on the right top above the footprint to reverse the order.

    If you are using the app, click the blue “trip name” link at the top of the footprint, then look for the “…” in the top right corner of the screen to reverse the order.

    LEAVING COMMENTS
    Every author enjoys receiving comments, so do take a moment to leave one instead of just clicking the “heart” at the bottom of the footprint. If you don’t have an account, please add your name at the end of your comment.

    I do answer questions and reply to comments when warranted. Unless you have an account, you will have to manually return to the footprint to see the reply.
    Read more