Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Tortola, British Virgin Islands

    December 20, 2022 in British Virgin Islands ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    A beautiful day for our very first visit to BVI.

    We left Insignia tied up at her berth in Road Town soon after the ship was cleared at 9:00a, hopped in a cab and made our way across to the other side of the island for some fun in the sun and surf … or in my case, in the sand and shade.

    The most popular beach on the island is Cane Garden Bay. It tends to be crowded from what I read, but with Insignia the only ship around until this afternoon, it probably wouldn’t have been bad. We had also read that Brewer’s Bay, the next beach north, was the place to be for those seeking solitude. So, that is where we are.

    Brewer’s has delivered on the promise of peace and quiet. Except for the cocks crowing and the hens pecking around in the dried seaweed, we have the entire beach to ourselves. A young couple came down to kayak … and left. Couples popped down here and there to stroll the stretch of sand on the far side … and left. There’s a beach bar behind us … but no patrons at the moment … no blaring music. We’ll probably get a bite to eat there later. In the meantime, enjoying our beach time.

    We sought solitude … we found solitude.
    Read more