Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    GC: Cemetery Beach

    December 30, 2022 in Cayman Islands ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    Disembarking the tender at the North Pier in Georgetown, we headed out of the small terminal to find the public bus station, a few blocks away … easy walking. We could have taken a shared taxi — $7pp — to our destination … Cemetery Beach. But why do that when the public bus (more like a jitney/van) fare is less expensive — $2.50pp — and you can enjoy a local experience.

    The beach sits in front of a cemetery … hence the name. It is described as a quiet beach, with decent snorkeling. Of course, now that the word has gotten out, the beach isn’t all that quiet. Meaning that there are a number of people sharing the sand and surf with us today. Everyone is well spaced out, however, so all good. The best part? There are no vendors hawking their wares and no blaring music. A chaise/umbrella guy has set up shop at the public access point, but we have our own beach chairs with us … and casuarina and sea grape trees offer plenty of shade.

    After taking a quick dip, I settled myself in the shade to relax … read … do a bit of writing. Mui lost no time getting in the water and swimming out to the reef. He’s back now and reports that while most of the coral is dead, there is evidence of new growth. He did see a number of colorful fishies. He’s happy.

    A nice day on the beach … character clouds decorating the blue sky … sunshine … a light breeze keeping us comfy … lizards scampering about nearby … hens and a rooster scratching around the trees looking for nibbles.

    Life is good.

    Insignia is in port until 7:00p … last tender at 6:30p. We’re going to take advantage of this schedule to grab a late lunch in town before returning to the ship.
    Read more