Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Welcome to Mykonos

    October 23, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    “A first for me,” said Captain Rena van Eerten in his welcome announcement for the Greek island of Mykonos when we arrived mid-morning. He was referring to the wind-free conditions of today. Indeed unusual for an island that is dotted with windmills.

    Our itinerary had us tendering into Mykonos Town. But we learned last night that we would be docking instead … at the new port … about a mile from town. That brought up the question of how to make our way to the town center. Though the distance is walkable, the narrow, curvy, busy road has no sidewalks. Thus walking was out. Would there be a shuttle service … like the one we used when we called on Mykonos in 2013? Yes, there would. But there was a better alternative this time … water taxis … for €2/person each way. Excellent.

    Disembarking Oosterdam, we walked across the way to the small boat harbor from which the water taxis depart. Within minutes we had round trip tickets in our pocket and were getting on the next departure to Mykonos Town.

    The 10-minute ride was pleasant … the shade on the aft deck where we stood welcome as it was a sunny blue-sky day and unseasonably hot … with no wind to mitigate the heat. Shortly after 11:00a, we were walking off the gangway and making our way into town.
    Read more