Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Meandering in Mykonos Town

    October 23, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    The only other time we were in Mykonos was aboard Celebrity Constellation … in 2013. On that occasion, we went to the Island of Delos by boat, and then returned to Mykonos Town, had a very late lunch before heading back to the ship. The short stroll we did then gave us some familiarity with the layout of the town today, which helped us make our way around easily.

    For this visit, I had planned for us to take the bus to the quaint village of Ano Mera. The ride, I read, was 20 minutes and busses departed every 30 minutes. Excellent. Except that when we got to the bus station on the far side of the harbor around 11:30a, we were told that the next bus was at 1:00p … even though the schedule showed one at noon. Time to jiggle our plans.

    The Archaeological Museum was temporarily closed. Mui wasn’t prepared with the necessary accoutrements to spend the day on one of the beaches with invitingly clear water. So, we decided on a meandering stroll in Mykonos Town followed by lunch. Using Google Maps to loosely guide us, we enjoyed the quaint atmosphere of the white-washed buildings sporting colorful doors and trims … mostly blue, but some red, grey, or orange as well. The narrow, cobblestone streets were delightful. That we rarely came across any others except the locals, added to the charm.

    Our meanderings took us up to a couple of windmills — icons of Mykonos … but not the more famous ones by the waterfront that are known as the Lower Windmills. One of the windmills we came to alongside a hilltop road had been restored; the other was not so lucky. Nonetheless, they both made charming subjects for photos … and they offered great viewpoints for aerial looks down to Mykonos Town.

    Eventually we made our way down to the windmills on the waterfront. A few clicks of the camera, and we made our way to a beach for a stroll to Little Venice … the historic houses that were built by the wealthy sea captains. Along the way we checked out a couple of places for lunch, but moved on when they did not prove satisfactory. That, in fact, worked in our favor … but that’s for the next footprint.
    Read more