Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 179

    Manila: Fine Arts & Lunch

    June 8, 2023 on the Philippines

    The walk from the Intramuros to the National Museum of Fine Arts, founded in 1998, was a bit longer than we expected. At least it felt that way in the humid heat. Nonetheless, we persevered. Shortly after 10:15a, admissions paid, we were enjoying the exhibits.

    The museum is housed in the Old Legislative Building, which was designed and built originally as the National Library during the period between 1918-1926. In 1945, Japanese Forces used the building as a stronghold, modifying it to include defensive installations. This resulted in heavy bombardment by American Forces that caused considerable damage to parts of the building. When the structure was rebuilt in 1949, the original footprint was followed, but with a less ornate façade … the Corinthian columns notwithstanding.

    The 29 galleries exhibit the works of 19th century “… Filipino masters, National Artists, leading modern painters, sculptors, and printmakers.” We spent over two hours wandering the galleries and hallways, studying the colorful works hanging on the walls and sitting on pedestals. Mui was inspired by several pieces that he hopes to paint with his own interpretation when he has time.

    It was well past 12:30p when we left the museum, our tummies signaling that it was time for food. Mui had found us a restaurant, but it was too far to walk. So, we hopped in a cab. The traffic was … well, just plain horrendous. Often at a standstill. But the driver knew a couple of shortcuts. Even then, it took about 30 minutes for us to get to Café Adriatico. The food was worth the effort of getting there however.

    Seated at a small corner table, I ordered the beef stroganoff; Mui got the Lapu Lapu Meunière. The portions were huge, but we nonetheless managed dessert as well … a decadent chocolate cake, to which we added a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

    We were back on the ship a little after 3:00p … with plenty of time for refreshing showers before the 4:00p sailaway … and the sail away performance.”
    Read more