Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Adelaide, SA: AGSA

    January 16 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 91 °F

    New-to-us-Port #8

    There was a price to pay for the stormy seas we crossed to get to Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. Our arrival was delayed by three hours! Oh well.

    No shuttle provided here. So, as soon as the ship was cleared, we walked the short distance to the Outer Harbor Railway Station … the easiest way to get into the city … tickets purchased and validated on the train. The trains run every 30 minutes or so. Luck was with us, however. A minute-or-two after we got to the station at 12:30p, the train arrived at the platform. By 1:15p, we were in the CBD.

    First up was a visit to the Apple Store at Rundle Mall. Then, we had to make a decision. We had just enough time to visit one museum before closing time. Should we visit the South Australia Museum or the Art Gallery of South Australia (AGSA)? We settled on the latter, leaving the other one for when we return to Adelaide in early April.

    AGSA is described as having “… one of the largest art museum collections in Australia, comprising almost 47,000 works of art spanning 2000 years.” It is definitely one of Australia’s “WOW” museums. And to think … no admission … donations gratefully accepted.

    After the museum, we went to Borsa Cucina, an Italian restaurant, for dinner … delicious food … good wine. Then, wanting to take advantage of the remaining daylight hours, we walked to the only place that was shown as open in the CBD … the Botanic Gardens. Except that all we could do there was take a stroll on the public paths … all of the buildings were closed. So, stroll we did for a bit before making our way back to the Adelaide Railway Station for the train ride back to Regatta.

    We have just about 60 NM to go to our next destination … that means a late sailaway at 11:00p! The wind has picked up and it has grown quite chilly. Fingers crossed for tomorrow’s tender port.

    P.S. I processed more photos for this footprint, but for some reason it is not letting me add them. That’s internet at sea for you! C’est la vie!
    Read more