Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Hobart: Happy Hour Al Fresco

    January 23 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Today was to have been our first day of sightseeing in the Hobart area. Although we did walk into town this afternoon, we switched a few things around and stayed home this morning. I needed some “catch-up time.”

    Our wander into town — about a 20-minute walk from the apartment — was mostly to run errands … and get some steps in. Mui wanted to check out the local R.M. Williams store. So that was our first stop.

    RMs, as the boots are referred to by those in the know, are world renowned as symbols of Australian style. Made by hand in the time-honoured tradition of cobblers since 1932, they are high quality and known for their durability and versatility. Yes, we each walked out with a pair!

    Next up was a haircut for me. My appointment at Ukiyo Hair turned out to be a relaxing treat … including a reclining massage chair while my hair was washed and my scalp received a gentle rub down.

    By the time we returned to the apartment, the sun was peeking through the overcast … just enough to warm up the evening so that we could enjoy happy hour al fresco on the deck. For me, Mui opened a bottle of Chenin Blanc that we picked up at the Woody Nook Winery during our Margaret River tour out of Geraldton. And he put a good dent in the Poesie Valpolicella, an Italian red, that Regatta’s Chief Engineer gifted us a few days ago.

    We’ll get back on schedule with our sightseeing plans tomorrow … though we might have to move a few things around since rain is in the forecast for much of the day. We’ll play it by ear.
    Read more