Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    OTR: Tasman NP … Remarkable Cave

    January 28 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Checking out of our hotel around 9:00a, we headed off on a bit of sightseeing before breakfast.

    Our route took us south from Port Arthur to where the road dead-ends in Tasman National Park. The trailheads for a couple of hikes were conveniently nearby, but they required more time than we had. We had in mind to do something else anyway.

    We were there to visit Remarkable Cave, one of the unique rock formations found along the coast. Due to the erosive power of the ocean, what was once a cave is a rock bridge carved out of a limestone cliff.

    To get to the cave-turned-bridge, we had to walk down a series of metal steps and boardwalks, stopping at a viewpoint at the midway point for some beautiful views. But the highlight of the walk, without a doubt, was the rock formation that lives up to its name … truly remarkable.

    We spent quite a bit of time on the boardwalk — which we had all to ourselves — not just watching the waves crashing through to tunnel and onto the beach below us. But also listening to the sounds of the rocks being moved about by the rough surf.

    A remarkable start to our day on the road.
    Read more