Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90

    Canberra: Parliament House

    March 10 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    The site of Canberra — the future capital of Australia — was selected in 1908. The government announced an international competition for the design of what they said would be “the finest capital city in the world.” Of the over 130 architects and town planners who submitted designs, Walter Burley Griffin, an American architect, won the competition.

    One of the most important elements of Burley Griffin’s plan is the Land Axis, which aligns Mount Ainslie with Camp Hill and Kurrajong with Mount Bimberi. At one end of the axis is the National War Memorial … and at the other end is Parliament House on Kurrajong (now known as Capital Hill). The Old Parliament House lying in between.

    After visiting the Old Parliament House, we strolled along Federation Mall to Parliament House. The mall, which in many ways reminded us of the mall in Washington, DC, balances the ANZAC Parade, which lies between the old house and the War Memorial. It completes the Land Axis.

    Parliament House, which consists of some 4,700 rooms, was built between 1981 and 1988 when it was inaugurated by Queen Elizabeth. Its shape is based on two boomerangs that are topped by a nearly 270-foot tall flagpole.

    We entered the grand foyer with its soaring ceiling held up by marble columns; peeked into the Great Hall with its oversized tapestry based on an untitled painting by Arthur Boyd; checked out both the Senate and House of Representative chambers … with the same red and green color schemes, respectively; and enjoyed the art on exhibit around the building. A quick snack at the Queen’s Terrace Café wrapped up our visit.
    Read more