Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Pokolbin: Hunter Valley Gardens

    March 12 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    A hot day — high of 92F. But beautiful nonetheless with blue skies and sunshine. A perfect day for visiting the Hunter Valley Gardens.

    Built in 1999, the gardens are situated on what used to be horse paddocks and vineyards. Encompassing 14 hectares, the gardens are home to a variety of themed areas — a Sunken Garden with a 33-foot high waterfall; a Storybook Garden where larger-than-life nursery rhymes are brought to life; a Rose Garden … dedicated to grandmothers everywhere; a Formal Garden … influenced by designs from France and England; a Border Garden designed in the classic French parterre style; an Indian Garden flanked by bronze elephants; an Oriental Garden trimmed and manicured with natural curves; a Chinese Garden incorporating traditional elements; and an Italian Grotto featuring a statue of St Francis of Assisi.

    We began with a stroll on the lakes walk and then ventured into the different gardens, following meandering paths. The grounds were beautifully manicured … lush green. But colorful blooms were at a minimum. Talking to one of the gardeners, it became obvious that we were here between seasons, with winter plantings currently in progress.

    Regardless of the lack of blooms, we enjoyed the serene nature of the gardens. And later wrapped up our outing at Café Enzo … recommended by one of the locals. Delicious food.
    Read more