Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 112

    Darwin: Lunch with Oceania Friends

    April 1 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 90 °F

    We were not supposed to be in Darwin today.

    More accurately, we were supposed to be in Darwin. But we were supposed to be out for the day … on a flight-seeing trip to Kakadu National Park.

    That was before I had my vertigo episode in Cairns. Suddenly, flying to a remote location on a small aircraft didn’t seem like a smart idea. So, we canceled the trip.

    The good news? It gave us a chance to meet up with friends on Oceania’s Nautica, the sister ship to Insignia … on which we did the world cruise last year.

    Nautica had called on Cairns while we were there. However, Chris (Executive Concierge) was port manning and Claudio (General Manager) had a previous engagement. Who knew we’d have another chance to plan a meet up … this time in Darwin.

    We met up with Claudio and Chris at Shennanigans … a pub on Mitchell Street … the same place where we had dinner last night. Thankfully, it was quiet today … no live band performance … no happy-hour crowd.

    The food was delicious. The beer was cold. The conversation … well, that was the highlight. It was great to catch up with friends.
    Read more