Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117

    Ferry … Cape Jervis to KI

    April 6 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    The Ghan pulled into the Adelaide Parklands Terminal slightly ahead of its 10:00a scheduled arrival. Our train journey now over, we bid newly-made friends adieu, detrained, picked up our checked bags, and hopped in an Uber to the Avis rental office a few miles away.

    We were way ahead of schedule when we began the drive to Cape Jervis, the departure point for the SeaLink ferry that connects Kangaroo Island [KI] with mainland Australia. Arriving at 2:30p, we tried to stand by for the 3:00p ferry … but no luck. At least I had already gone online to switch our 6:00p reservation to 4:00p, so the wait for the next ferry wasn’t too bad.

    The 45-minute ride across the Backstairs Passage was uneventful. Before we knew it, the ferry was unloading at the terminal in Penneshaw … on KI’s Dudley Peninsula. We headed straight to our AirBNB accommodations, a lovely little house just 5 minutes out of town … with a view of Kingscote Harbour.

    While I settled in, Mui drove back into town for snacks and a bottle of wine. Munchies on the veranda before the temp dipped further was the plan. Chores could wait until later.
    Read more